This weekend, thousands were affected by historic levels of rainfall and flooding in Houston, Texas. In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, communities across the nation have banded together to give victims a lending hand.
We've rounded up a list of ten national and local organizations as options where you can show support by donating money or resources to the charities involved in relief efforts.
- American Red Cross: You can donate online or by texting HARVEY to 90999 to donate $10.
- AABB: The AABB Interorganizational Task Force on Domestic Disasters and Acts of Terrorism is urging donors nationwide to donate blood. Individuals in the blood group O-positive are in high demand. More information can also be found by calling 301-907-6977.
- Airbnb: Waives fees and puts up listings of those who can open their homes to those in need.
- Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County: Local response to homelessness by offering direct services to those affected. Additional information and donating is found online.
- Feeding Texas: Food bank joins forces with state and federal relief efforts to provide relief to those who have lost access to nutritious food. They've also issued a list of local food backs likely affected by Harvey that can use your help.
- Greater Houston Community Fund: Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner established a relief fund to help those affected. Donate here.
- Global Giving: This crowdfunding for charity site is attempting to raise $2 million for local relief efforts. Donations can be made online.
- Portlight Strategies: Involved in post relief work and aiding people with disabilities. Donate online.
- SPACA of Texas: Paws and donate here to show support for animal evacuation and care within Texas.
- Salvation Army: Donations can be made online or by texting STORM to 51555.
Trying to decide which organization to make your contributions to? Charity Navigator's Hurricane Harvey page evaluates how efficiently organizations use their donations.